Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Dad

I never thought I would be blogging this post, at least not now. Last week began with a terrible phone call telling us that my father had passed away in an accident. The week has been a total blur and my thoughts and feelings are still reeling from the shock. My mom, my brother, my sister and I and all our spouses and kids are grieving terribly, but we have hope!

My dad was a beautiful person full of God's love for others, willing to give of himself until there was nothing left. This was evident in the almost 300 visitors to the family visitation at the funeral home and the 444 people at the funeral (in a church that is full at 300!). We have heard so many stories of how people were touched by my dad's life in all kinds of ways. Some we knew about, but some are a total surprise. You see, my dad served others in a perpetually selfless way. There was nothing about him that wanted attention or recognition for his acts of service. That's just the way he was.

If you are a regular reader to my blog, you may get tired of hearing stories of my dad, but there are so many things I want to tell about him. I just wish everyone could have known him like I did. I am so blessed.

4 comments:

Amy S. Grant said...

I remember your dad being very sweet and gentle spirited the few times I was blessed to meet him in Abilene. You and your siblings are a testimony to his faithful life. I know you miss him. Please do post some stories, we would love to read about him!

Jennifer said...

Paula,

Again, I'm so sorry! Your dad was amazing. I posted about him on my blog too and you are right- he was so selfless. He was a true example of what a father and husband should be. I'm thinking and praying for you and your family daily!

Townie

Brooke said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We are praying for you and your family. I never met your dad but I would love to hear all the stories you want to post.

Laura Drury said...

I love you sister and am thankful for you. As much as I don't want to go through this storm I'm so thankful that I have you & Mike as my siblings to make it through together. I couldn't ask for a better sister. :)