Sunday, July 1, 2007

Unexpected Thanks

While driving home from camp, my 9 year old was discussing different people he met during the week long session. He was quite amazed at some of the kids and their ability to get away with as little as possible. You see, my son is no perfect child, but he has always been a very hard worker. I have memories of him in diapers helping me sweep and mop the kitchen. Anyway, after discussing some of the campers who shunned many of their responsibilities, my sweet son paused, then said "Y'all are really good parents." Was I dreaming? Does this kind of thing really come out of a 9 year old's mouth? I thought kids were at least 30 before they realized that their parents had a few redeeming qualities.

He went on to explain that we have never given him nor his brother everything they always wanted. We have always expected them to do their part in our home. Now our kids are not mistreated by any means, but they do have their chores. I think he realized what spoiled brats and otherwise good kids with little expectations given them that there are in the world. What a great lesson to learn at an early age. He can go back to this camp every year!

Thank you, Father, for the little bits of appreciation. You have blessed us immensely with our family.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I love this blog and am so happy that you started it. I LOVE what JP said! You are great parents and second his opinion. what a blessing to hear! You know, Laura B. would say that was a "paycheck"! Hooray for camp!