Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Biking Adventure


Ken and JP have been preparing to ride in the big bike race here in town. The race is really a big deal (100 miles), and it brings many, many people to our little city. Ken and JP are going to ride in the smallest version of the race (10K), so they have been taking many 10K practice runs in recent evenings. Tonight I needed a little exercise since I have not been doing my usual walking. So we set out on the city bike trail, headed for the lake. About 2.5 miles in, I noticed I was getting farther and farther away from the guys and it was getting harder to keep up. Then I noticed a weird rhythmic sound coming from somewhere beneath me. Well, I'm no biking expert, but I soon realized I had no air in my back tire! JP was disappointed because we were so close to the turnaround point which is a HUGE hill at the dam that he loves to ride down. So while Ken and I relaxed on a bench by the trail, JP took off on his adventure.


Upon his return, we decided the tire was too flat for anyone to ride on, but of course we were at the most deserted part of the trail, so we decided Ken would speed home, get the truck and come get us. I volunteered to push the bike up to the main road where there was an oasis (Sonic!) and JP decided to stay with me. I assumed he would ride his bike, even if he turned back around a few times to stay nearby. But, sweet JP said he would just push his bike with me since we hadn't got to visit much today (smiling Mom moment). So Ken took off and we pushed, and pushed, and pushed. Funny, it seemed like the main road was so much closer when we were riding:). We finally made it to the Sonic about dark, sat on a bench and waited about one minute until our rescuer came for us! Of course, we couldn't leave without a little refreshment! Whew, what a ride!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a memory! :-) Thankful all turned out safely and included Sonic!

Book Nook Girl said...

That's what you get for going out to exercise! This was probably a sign! Just kidding! JP is such a sweetie - I just wanted to hug him when I read this! All I can say is thank goodness there was a Sonic close by!

Laura Drury said...

WHAT A FUN ADVENTURE! LOVE WHAT YOU WROTE ABOUT DAD & MOM IN THE PREVIOUS POST. DAD WOULD BE PROUD. I LOVE YOU SISTER.